Historic Pelham

Presenting the rich history of Pelham, NY in Westchester County: current historical research, descriptions of how to research Pelham history online and genealogy discussions of Pelham families.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

An Early, Interesting Photograph of Bolton Priory in the Village of Pelham Manor

Bolton Priory stands at 7 Priory Lane near the Parish of Christ the Redeemer. It is also known as “The Priory” and “Pelham Priory”. The Reverend Robert Bolton, who founded Christ Church in 1843, completed this towering Gothic Revival mansion with his sons in 1838. Bolton Priory is one of two Pelham residences listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was added to the Register on June 28, 1974. See National Register of Historic Places: New York – Westchester County (visited Nov. 29, 2005).

Bolton Priory also was added to the Westchester County Inventory of Historic Places on January 5, 1988 and to the New York Register of Historic Places on June 23, 1980. See Westchester County Web Site: Sites Listed on the Westchester County Inventory of Historic Places, The New York State Register of Historic Places, and the National Register of Historic Places as of January, 2004 (visited Nov. 29, 2005).

Periodically I have published to the Historic Pelham Blog postings that deal with the fabulous history of the Bolton Priory. For examples, see:

Aug. 23, 2005: Society Scandal: The "Strange" Story of Mrs. Adele Livingston Stevens Who Acquired the Bolton Priory in Pelham Manor

Jul. 13, 2005: 11 Priory Lane: The Rose Cottage

Jun. 10, 2005: Pelham's Most Magnificent Wedding Gift: The Bolton Priory

May 3, 2005: Colonel Frederick Hobbes Allen, An Owner of Bolton Priory in Pelham Manor

Apr. 4, 2005: Art and Poetry of William Jay Bolton of Bolton Priory in Pelham

Today's Historic Pelham Blog posting presents an unusual image from the William R. Montgomery Glass Negatives Collection of The Office of The Historian of The Town of Pelham. The photograph that appears immediately below shows a rare view of the Priory from the façade that faces the Long Island Sound taken during the 1920s. Most photographs of the structure show a view of the front entrance next to the tower.

Please Visit the Historic Pelham Web Site
Located at
Please Click Here for Index to All Blog Postings.


Post a Comment

<< Home