Program for January 8, 1889 Opening of the Hutchinson School in Pelhamville
Located at http://www.historicpelham.com/
Please Click Here for Index to All Blog Postings
On January 8, 1889, the Union Free School District No. 1, Town of Pelham conducted opening exercises at the new Hutchinson School. The school building replaced the tiny wooden school house built for Pelhamville school children in the 1860s.
The collections of The Office of The Historian of The Town of Pelham contain what appears to be a clipping from an undated early 20th century newspaper that reproduced the program issued for the opening exercises of the school. Today's Historic Pelham Blog Posting contains the two pages of the program scanned from that clipping. Beneath the images, to facilitate search, is the text of the program pages.
"Hutchinson School Opens
January 8, 1889
UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 1, TOWN OF PELHAM.
-- AT THE --
NEW SCHOOL HOUSE,
PELHAMVILLE, N. Y.,
TUESDAY, JANUARY 8TH, 1889,
AT 1 O'CLOCK P. M.
I. C. HILL, C. R. STILES,
MISS C. E. COWLES, MISS V. W. CAMPBELL, MISS J. L. WILSON.
MRS. I. C. HILL,
MRS. R. C. BLACK, MRS. WM. ALLEN SMITH,
MRS. E. H. GURNEY, MRS. ROBERT H. SCOTT,
MRS. GEORGE PEARSON, MRS. A. ANDERSON,
MRS. J. WAUGH, MRS. T. SCOTT.
The residents of the District and their friends are cordially invited to attend these exercises and inspect the new School House.
WM. ALLEN SMITH, } Committee of Arrangements.
E. H. GURNEY,"
1. PRAYER, . . . . REV. C. WINTER BOLTON.
2. HYMN - "Father in Heaven," . . . . BY THE PUPILS OF THE DISTRICT.
3. ADDRESS, . . . . WM. ALLEN SMITH, President of the Board of Education.
4. CHORUS - "The Mellow Horn." . . . . BY THE PUPILS.
5. CLASS EXERCISES,
Conducted by Principal I. C. HILL and Miss JULIA L. WILSON, Assistant.
a. ALGEBRA, . . . . CLASS A.
b. GRAMMAR - Analysis, . . . . CLASS B.
CHORUS - "Aim High," . . . . BY THE PUPILS.
c. READING - Primary, . . . . CLASS C.
d. ARITHMETIC - Fractions, . . . . CLASS B.
6. CHORUS - "Sweet and Low," . . . . BY THE PUPILS.
7. ADDRESS, . . . . JARED SANDFORD, School Commissioner.
8. CHORUS - "Chiming Bells," . . . . BY THE PUPILS.
9. ADDRESS, . . . . REV. D. N. FREELAND.
10. CHORUS - "The Laugh of a Child," . . . . BY THE PUPILS.