Images Reflecting the History of Pelham
Located at http://www.historicpelham.com/.
Please Click Here for Index to All Blog Postings.
In September, 1962, The League of Women Voters in Pelham published a wonderful booklet entitled "Let's Look at Pelham". The booklet contained numerous drawings of scenes in and around Pelham of historic significance. Today's Historic Pelham Blog posting includes nine of these images (including the cover of the booklet) and a little information about each.
The cover of the booklet and the first image that appeared on page 5 of the booklet both depict the home located at 45 Iden Avenue known as Pelhamdale. Built before the Revolutionary War, the home once belonged to Col. David Pell. Both images appear immediately below.
The next image appeared on page 7 of the booklet. It depicts the "Pelham Coach" (also known as the "Tally-Ho") that once belonged to Col. Delancey Kane. In the 1870s the coach ran between the Hotel Brunswick in Manhattan and Pelham Bridge.
For many years New Yorkers rode the Tally Ho to picnic in the lovely setting of the countryside in Pelham. Pelham became the playground of the rich and famous during those years due, in large measure, to the Pelham Coach.
The next image appeared on page 15 of the booklet. It shows Pelham's Town Hall as it appeared in 1962. It looks essentially the same today.
On page 17 of the booklet there appeared an image of the crest of John Pell Crest who is often described as the "Second Lord of the Manor of Pelham". The caption beneath the crest states: "Crest of Sir John Pell, Esq. (1643-1702) . Now the Seal of Pelham Manor." It has been established, however, that contrary to Pell family tradition, John Pell was never knighted and did not carry the title "Sir". Moreover, it seems certain that John Pell signed deeds dated after 1702 and, thus, could not have died in that year.
The image immediately below is taken from page 23 of the booklet. It depicts the original parish house of Christ Church. The structure was used as a small neighborhood school until 1866.
The image below appeared on page 36 of the booklet. It depicts the offices of Pelham Visiting Nurse and Pelham Family Service as they appeared in 1962. The offices were located at 425 Fifth Avenue.
Below is an image that appeared on page 40 of the booklet. It shows the hook and ladder "truck" acquired by the new Fire Department that served Pelhamville in 1893.
The final image appeared on page 43 of the booklet. It shows Pelham's first Town Hall building that once stood on today's Shore Road near the location of today's Pelham Bit Stables. The structure was razed in the 1950s.