Historic Pelham

Presenting the rich history of Pelham, NY in Westchester County: current historical research, descriptions of how to research Pelham history online and genealogy discussions of Pelham families.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Town Proclamation Recognizes Celebration of the 250th Anniversary of Pelhamdale at 45 Iden Avenue

Pelhamdale is a Pelham jewel. It is a lovely stone house located at 45 Iden Avenue in Pelham Manor. Philip Pell II built portions believed to be part of today’s structure between about 1750 and 1760. The home is one of two in Pelham Manor that include sections built before the Revolutionary War. The other is the “Kemble House” located at 145 Shore Road.

Philip Pell II was a grandson of Thomas Pell, so-called “3rd Lord of the Manor of Pelham”. After the Revolutionary War, Col. David J. Pell, a son of Philip Pell II, owned the property. According to Lockwood Barr, who wrote a popular book on the history of Pelham in 1946, “Pelham Dale was one of the magnificent country estates of Westchester." The home is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places and has been granted a New York State Historic Marker.

Yesterday (Sunday, October 14, 2007), the owners of Pelhamdale celebrated the 250th anniversary of the house with a group of family and friends. During the celebration Town Councilmen Pete DiPaola and Dan McLaughlin presented a Town Proclamation in honor of the occasion. A photograph of the home taken during the celebration appears immediately below. Beneath the photograph is the text of the Proclamation presented to the home owners.

"A Proclamation
By The Supervisor And Town Council
Of The Town Of Pelham, NY In Westchester County.

Saturday, October 14, 2007

WHEREAS, the home known as “Pelhamdale” located at 45 Iden Avenue in the Village of Pelham Manor, Town of Pelham, NY, in Westchester County is a historic home that has been awarded a New York State Historical Marker and is listed in both the New York and National Registers of Historic Places; and

WHEREAS, portions of the home were built between 1750 and 1760 with some evidence suggesting a construction date of about 1757; and

WHEREAS, the earliest-built portion of the home is believed to have been built by Philip Pell II, a direct descendant of John Pell, so-called Second Lord of the Manor of Pelham, who inherited the Manor of Pelham from his uncle, Thomas Pell, who, in turn, acquired it from local Native Americans on June 27, 1654; and

WHEREAS, portions of the Battle of Pelham were fought on or near the grounds of the Estate on October 18, 1776 during the Revolutionary War; and

WHEREAS, at least three American Patriots who fought during the Revolutionary War have some association with the Estate: David J. Pell, Philip Pell III and Samuel Treadwell Pell; and

WHEREAS, on Saturday, October 14, 2007, the owners of Pelhamdale, Drs. Alfred Z. Spector and Rhonda G. Kost will gather in the home with an intimate group of family and friends to celebrate the 250th anniversary of Pelhamdale:

NOW THEREFORE, Town Supervisor Joseph Solimine Sr., Deputy Town Supervisor William O’Connor, Councilwoman Rae Syzmanski, Councilman Peter DiPaola and Councilman Dan McLaughlin hereby proclaim Saturday, October 14, 2007, Pelhamdale Day in honor and recognition of the 250th anniversary of the estate known today as Pelhamdale.

Signed on behalf of The Supervisor and Town Council with full authority in Town Hall in the Town of Pelham, NY on this ____ day of October, 2007.

_______________________________________ "

Please Visit the Historic Pelham Web Site
Located at http://www.historicpelham.com/.
Please Click Here for Index to All Blog Postings.

Labels: , , , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home