Historic Pelham

Presenting the rich history of Pelham, NY in Westchester County: current historical research, descriptions of how to research Pelham history online and genealogy discussions of Pelham families.

Thursday, May 01, 2014

The Location of the Pelhamville Depot That Preceded the Pelham Train Station Built in 1895-1896

I have yet to establish with certainty when the first train station was erected in Pelhamville, although it seems very likely that it was built shortly after Pelhamville became a stop on the railroad in 1848.  See Eisenstadt, Peter R. & Moss, Laura-Eve, The Encyclopedia of New York State, 1190 (Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 2005).  There also is a question regarding whether there was one or more than one predecessor stations to the Pelham Train Station built in 1895-96 that still stands today.  I recently have written about the history of two Pelham stations.  See Wed., Apr. 16, 2014:  Pelham's Train Station on the New Haven Line Was NOT Built in 1893 as Claimed.  

Review of old maps that reflect Pelhamville make clear that a station stood about where today's One Wolfs Lane exists as early as 1858.  Subsequent maps indicate that the location of the station did not change until the Pelham Train Station that stands today was built in 1895-96.

One early map by Frederick Carles Merry published in 1858 makes clear that a station building stood next to the pair of tracks that then existed on the north side of the tracks in 1858.  Below is an image that juxtaposes a detail from Merry's map on the left with a map of the same area as it currently exists.



Detail from 1858 Map on the Left Showing Pelhamville
Depot Roughly Where Today's One Wolfs Lane is Located.
Click on Image to Enlarge.
Source:  Merry, Frederick Carles, "Map of Westchester County, 
New York : From Actual Surveys / by F.C. Merry : 
Engraved on Stone by C. Baunach, N.Y." 
(one map on four sheets; Library of Congress Geography 
and Map Division, Washington, D.C., 20540) (Library of 
Congress Copy: G3803.W51858 .M4).

Similarly, a map of the same area by J.B. Beers & Co. published in 1872 shows a Pelhamville Depot standing in essentially the same location.  Below is a detail from that map juxtaposed, once again, with a map of the same area as it currently exists.



Detail from 1872 Map on the Left Showing Pelhamville
Depot Roughly Where Today's One Wolfs Lane is Located.
Click on Image to Enlarge.
Source:  "Town of New Rochelle, and Pelham, Westchester 
County, New York, (Insets) Pelhamville, City Island" in 
County Atlas of Westchester, New York, Published by 
J.B. Beers & Co. Assisted by S.W. Wilson and 
Others, pp. 53-54 (Olmsted Vaux & Co., 1872).

Finally, a map of the same area by Joseph Rudolph Bien publishe in 1893 shortly before the station was replaced by the one that stands today shows a Pelhamville Station standing, once again, in essentially the same location.  Below is a detail from that map juxtaposed again with a map of the same area as it currently exists.  



Detail from 1893 Map on the Left Showing Pelhamville Station
Roughly Where Today's One Wolfs Lane is Located.
Click on Image to Enlarge.
Source:  "Towns of Westchester and Pelham, (with) Villages of
Westchester and Unionport, (with) Village of Pelhamville" in
Atlas of Westchester County, New York.  Prepared Under the
Direction of Joseph R. Bien, E.M., Civil and Topographical
Engineer from Original Surveys and Official Records, p. 3
(NY, NY:  Julius Bien & Company, 1893).

These map details indicate that at least 1858 (and likely before then), a train station stood near or on the land we know today as One Wolfs Lane in the Village of Pelham.  The location was the site of the train station until the station was replaced by the station that stands today on the east side of Fifth Avenue, north of the four tracks of the New Haven line.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home