Historic Pelham

Presenting the rich history of Pelham, NY in Westchester County: current historical research, descriptions of how to research Pelham history online and genealogy discussions of Pelham families.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Abstract of 1779 Will of Samuel Rodman of the Manor of Pelham in Westchester County


Prior to the Revolutionary War, Samuel Rodman owned Rodman's Neck (also known as Ann Hoock's Neck and Pelham Neck) on the mainland near City Island. In 1779 Rodman prepared a will. He died shortly thereafter and the will was proved May 8, 1780.

Today's Historic Pelham Blog posting transcribes the text of an abstract of that will published in the early 20th Century. The text appears immediately below:

"ABSTRACTS OF WILLS -- LIBER 32. . . . Page 240. -- 'I, SAMUEL RODMAN, of the manor of Pelham, in Westchester County. I leave to my son Joseph one half of my island called Hart Island, lying in the Sound before the manor of Pelham; also £300, and my wearing apparell and one English mare. I leave to my sons, William and Samuel, all my Neck of land and meadow where I now live, with all buildings, which I bought of Thomas Pell; also my stock of horses and cattle. I leave to my daughter, Sarah Bleecker, £300. To Miriam Hicks, daughter of Deborah Hicks, £50; to her sister, Elizabeth Hicks, £25. To my granddaughter, Sarah Bertine, £100, and the money due me on a bond from Peter Bertine and his sons, Peter and John. To my grandson, Samuel Bertine, £200. To Joshua Hunt, Sr., £5. To Miriam Hicks the bed I lye on, with all bedding. To my son William a pair of silk stockings and a bosom Gold Buckell. To my son Samuel a pair of Gold sleeve buttons. To my granddaughter, Sarah Bertine, one good feather bed, with furniture. I leave to Richard Hicks my square of land on Miniford's Island where Deborah Baxter now lives. All the rest of my movable estate I leave to my three sons, Joseph, William, and Samuel, and my daughter, Sarah Bleecker. I appoint my sons, William and Samuel, and John Bartow, Sr., executors.'

Dated September 10, 1779. Witnesses, James Pell, Sr., Thomas Pell, Elizabeth Pell. Proved, May 8, 1780.

[NOTE. -- Minifords Island is now City Island.]"

Source: Pelletreau, William S. & Keller, John, Abstracts of Wills on File in the Surrogate's Office: City of New York, pp. 108-09 (NY, NY: ) (Volume Containing Abstracts of Wills in Libers 31, 32 and 33 in New York Surrogate's Office and Letters of Administration from January 17, 1779 to February 18, 1783) (citing Liber 32, p. 240, New York Surrogate's Office).

Please Visit the Historic Pelham Web Site
Located at
http://www.historicpelham.com/.
Please Click Here for Index to All Blog Postings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home