Historic Pelham

Presenting the rich history of Pelham, NY in Westchester County: current historical research, descriptions of how to research Pelham history online and genealogy discussions of Pelham families.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Abstract of 1752 Will of Thomas Pell, Jr. of the Manor of Pelham


On February 22, 1752, an ailing Thomas Pell, Jr. of the Manor of Pelham executed his will. By March 12, 1755, Pell was dead, the will being proved on that date.

The will provides an interesting glimpse of an 18th century Pelham family that had quite an impact on the little community. Today's Historic Pelham Blog posting transcribes an abstract of the will published in 1897.

"Page 226. -- In the name of God, Amen. I THOMAS PELL, JR., of the manor of Pelham, in Westchester County, being sick and weak. I leave to my father a silver-headed cane and a pair of gloves. To my mother a suit of mourning clothes. To my brother, Roger Pell, £200. To my brother in law, John Ward, Jr., £150. To my sister, Sarah Dodge, £20. To my sister, Keziah Lawrence, £25. To my brother, John Pell, my riding horse and saddle and £10, and 1/2 my wearing apparell. To my brother, David Pell, £25 and 1/2 my wearing apparell. All the rest of my estate I leave to my youngest brothers and sisters, viz., Samuel, James, Dorothy, and Rachel. 'My Surveying instruments are to be sold and the money paid to my sister, Mary Ward, or any of my executors may keep them and pay her the value.' I leave to my brother, David Pell, all my reckoning and ciphering books, and a case of bottles, a hanger, a broad axe, and my violin. I make my brother Roger and my brother in law, John Ward, Jr., executors.

Dated February 22, 1752. Witnesses, Amos Dodge, Joshua Gravis Grib, John Quin. Proved, March 12, 1755. John Ward, Jr., was then dead."

Source: Abstracts of Wills on File in the Surrogate's Office, City of New York in Collections of the New-York Historical Society For the Year 1896, pp. 1, 57 (NY, NY: New-York Historical Society, 1897) (citing Liber 19, p. 226).

Please Visit the Historic Pelham Web Site
Located at
http://www.historicpelham.com/.
Please Click Here for Index to All Blog Postings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home