Historic Pelham

Presenting the rich history of Pelham, NY in Westchester County: current historical research, descriptions of how to research Pelham history online and genealogy discussions of Pelham families.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

The New Development of Pelhamwood as it Was in 1913

Located just north of the Pelham station on the New Haven Line is the lovely neighborhood known as Pelhamwood.  Almost triangular in shape, the neighborhood is bordered on the north by Lincoln Avenue, on the west by Harmon and Highbrook Avenues, on the south by the railroad tracks and on the east by the New Rochelle border.  In 1909, Clifford B. Harmon & Co. bought from the Winyah Park Realty Company this one-hundred acre tract and began development of Pelhamwood.

Within four years, all the roads of Pelhamwood were macadamized.  All the streets also were provided with concrete sidewalks and gutters.  Electric street lights illuminated the streets, a particularly modern convenience at a time when gas lamps still lit much of Pelham.  Also by 1913, the Village of North Pelham had constructed outlet sewers through Highbrook Avenue and at Fifth Avenue and Harmon Avenue so that Pelhamwood homeowners could connect to a sewer system for the area.  That year, Clifford B. Harmon & Co. was engaged in constructing a complete sewer system in Pelhamwood, "paid for in part by the abutting owners and in part by the company."

On December 20, 1913, The Pelham Sun published a half-page advertisement for the new real estate development known as Pelhamwood.  The newspaper further filled the remainder of the page with brief articles touting the beauty and modern conveniences of the new development, together with a series of early photographs of the development and a few of its residences.

Today's posting to the Historic Pelham Blog transcribes the text of these materials and provides images of the published photographs and the half-page advertisement.  Each is followed by a citation and link to its source.

*          *          *          *          *

"Pelhamwood is One of the Town's Beauty Spots

The Pelhamwood section of the Village of North Pelham, since it went into the hands of Clifford B. Harmon & Co., has made great strides, and is rapidly building up.  All the streets have been macadamized, gutters and concrete sidewalks provided.  For street lights electricity is used.  The building and maintenance of the streets is paid for by the Harmon Company, which also pays its lighting bills ,the streets not having been turned over to the village.

The village paid for the outlet sewers through Highbrook avenue and at Fifth and Harmon avenue, and the realty company is now engaging in building a complete sewer system in Pelhamwood, paid for in part by the abutting owners and in part by the company.

Pelhamwood is one of the prettiest spots in the town and the residences there erected are all high class and of a decidedly pleasing appearance.

The fact that the village has improved Fourt street east to the village line has provided the north end of Pelhamwood with a fine entrance from that point and will help materially to boom property in that part of the village.  

A number of new residences are planned to be built the coming spring, some by private owners and others by the realty concern.

Pelhamwood is somewhat of a bonanza to the Village of North Pelham, in that it produces a large revenue in taxes and receives little in return therefor.  That, of course,, is caused by the fact that the streets are private and not public thoroughfares, although use of them is permitted the general public, with the exception of heavy trucks, which are barred.

The pictorial display in this page will show various types of Pelhamwood residences.

Our Water Supply

In the Town of Pelham, the Villages of North Pelham and Pelham Manor and the unincorporated section adjoining Pelham Manor are supplied with water by the New Rochelle Water Company, which gives them a service far superior to that of many much larger communities.  The Village of Pelham is supplied by the Inter-Urban Water Company.

The New Rochelle Water Copany has its source of supply and machinery equipment in duplicate, each unit entirely independent of the other.  Reservoir No. 1, located 3 3-4 miles distant from the Town Hall, covers a water area of 60.54 acres, with a 34 feet depth of water at the gate house, has a storage capacity of 271,735,700 gallons and supplies the Gravity Service.  

Reservoir No. 2, located 3 1-8 miles from the Town Hall, covers a water area of 18.28 acres, with a 25 foot depth of water at the gate house, has a capacity of 37,000,000 gallons.  Reservoir No. 3, which is located between Nos. 1 and 3 [sic], has a water area of 30.11 acres, with a depth of water at the gate house of 25 feet, has a storage capacity of 128,000,000 gallons.

Reservoir No. 2 and 3, together with a battery of 20 driven wells operated by an air lift, supply the high service, for which there are installed at the main pumping station two pumping engines of 3,000,000 and 3,500,000 gallons, respectively, which pump into a stand pipe with a capacity of 1,200,000 gallons.  These engines are supplied with stream by four 150 H. P. boilers, each supplied with under feed stokers.

Also this commpany has reservoir No. 4, located in Yonkers, about one mile west of Reservoir No. 1, wjhich reservoir has a flooded area of 34.5 acres, a depth of water at the gate house, of 25 feet, and has a storage capacity of 108,500,000 gallons.  This reservoir is capable of supplying both the high and low service, having a pumping station equipped with two electric power pumps of 4,000,000 and 1,000,000 gallons, respectively.

Though Reservoir No. 1 is used for gravity service, it can supply Reservoir No. 2, and thus serve the high service system.  By opening the gates the high service can be made to serve the gravity system.

In addition to the above sources of supply the company has located at Pelham a battery of 62 driven wells.  At this point is located a pumping station with a pumping engine of 2,000,000 gallons capacity, stream for which is furnished by two 100 H. P. boilers which are equipped with under feed stokers.  

This company, with pipe lines of upwards of 140 miles, is metered certain throughout, with the exception of certain residences in the Village of Pelham Manor, and supplies in addition to the City of New Rochelle, the suburban towns of Eastchester, Bronxville, Tuckahoe, North Pelham and Pelham Manor.

Pelhamwood Association

The Pelhamwood Association is the outcome of a meeting of the property owners of Pelhamwood, held May 16, 1912.  The principal object of this association is to promote the welfare of Pelhamwood.

The association is controlled by a President and Board of Governors.  The President is elected by the association for a term of two years, and cannot serve more than two terms in succession.  The Board of Governors, composed of six members, is also elected by the association for a term of two years, the term of three governors expiring each year.  The governors are not eligible to serve two terms in succession.

The Board of Governors is required to hold monthly meetings and to take up for action any subject that may be presented for the welfare of Pelhamwood.  

The annual meeting, which is held in May of each year, is something of a 'get together' meeting, where the governors give account to the association, the election is held, and the balance of the evening spent in getting better acquainted, in which refreshments, served by the ladies, play a very prominent part.

The present Board of Governors is as follows:  R. H. Smith, President; E. F. Campbell, Charles Smith, C. R. Adams, W. M. Pack, J. S. Marvin, Treasurer, and T. J. James, Secretary."   

Source:  Pelhamwood is One of the Town's Beauty Spots, The Pelham Sun, Dec. 20, 1913, p. 7, cols. 1-7.  

"MR. WARDROP'S RESIDENCE" in Pelhamwood.
Source:  PelhamwoodThe Pelham Sun, Dec. 20, 
1913, p. 7, cols. 1-3.  NOTE:  Click Image to Enlarge.

"RESIDENCE OF G. W. KREMER" in Pelhamwood.
Source:  PelhamwoodThe Pelham Sun, Dec. 20, 
1913, p. 7, cols. 5-7.  NOTE:  Click Image to Enlarge.

"RESIDENCE OF R. W. SACKETT" in Pelhamwood.
Source:  PelhamwoodThe Pelham Sun, Dec. 20, 
1913, p. 7, cols. 6-7.  NOTE:  Click Image to Enlarge.


Source:  PelhamwoodThe Pelham Sun, Dec. 20, 
1913, p. 7, cols. 1-3.  NOTE:  Click Image to Enlarge.

1913 Advertisement for the New Development "Pelhamwood."
Source:  PelhamwoodThe Pelham Sun, Dec. 20, 

1913, p. 7, cols. 1-7.  NOTE:  Click Image to Enlarge.

The text of the advertisement immediately above is transcribed below to facilitate search.

The Beautiful Residential Park between Mt. Vernon and New Rochelle

30 Minutes to Grand Central 167 Trains per Day

On Three Lines of Electric Roads  Two Stations on Property

PELHAMWOOD is mighty attractive to those who wish the comforts and pleasure of suburban life, but who desire to be near the office and the city at all hours.

PELHAMWOOD is nearer, in time, than Brooklyn, The Bronx, or 145th St., Washington Heights, and trains almost as convenient as subway expresses -- and a comfortable seat all the way.

PELHAMWOOD is now selling at suburban prices, but being in the direct line of the city's growth northward, is rising in value as rapidly as city property.  We will help you build a home here, and you can pay for same in monthly payment like rent.

VISIT this attractive property as our guest.  Full particulars, book of views, maps, etc. ,sent on request, and no obligation on your part.

Clifford B. Harmon & Co.

42nd St. and Madison Ave. New York, N. Y."

Source:  Pelhamwood [Advertisement], The Pelham Sun, Dec. 20, 1913, p. 7, cols. 1-7.

*          *           *          *          *

Periodically I have written about Pelhamwood and Clifford B. Harmon, a principal developer of Pelhamwood.  For those interested in a comprehensive history of the development, see Bell, Blake A., The Early Development of Pelhamwood, The Pelham Weekly, Vol. XIII, No. 37, Sept. 17, 2004, p. 12, col. 2.  For earlier postings about Pelhamwood and Clifford B. Harmon, see:

Mon., Mar. 16, 2015:   Newspaper References and Advertisements Regarding Development of Pelhamwood.

Mon., Mar. 16, 2015:  Newspaper References and Advertisements Regarding Development of Pelhamwood.

Fri., Sep. 26, 2014:  1909 Advertisements Show How the New Development of Pelhamwood Was Marketed to New Yorkers.

Sat., Jan. 25, 2014:  Putting the Finishing Touches on the Lovely New Church in Pelhamwood in 1923.  

Mon., Feb. 1, 2010:  Obituary of Richard B. Ferris of Pelhamwood

Thu., Oct. 11, 2007:  Biographical Data and Photographs of Clifford B. Harmon Who Developed Pelhamwood

Tue., Jul. 10, 2007:  An Early Event in the History of Pelhamwood

Thu., Jun. 21, 2007:  Information About "Aeronautic" Exploits of Clifford B. Harmon Who Developed Pelhamwood in Pelham

Thu. Aug. 10, 2006:  The New Development of Pelhamwood Gets Approval for its Proposed Sewage System in 1912

Tue., Nov. 15, 2005:  Plaque Dedicated at the Historic Pelhamwood Clock Tower

Mon., Sep. 12, 2005: Pelhamwood Association Celebrated its 30th Anniversary in 1942

Thu., May 12, 2005: Clifford B. Harmon, Developer of Pelhamwood.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home