John Hunter of Hunter's Island in Pelham Obtained Special Tax Relief in 1826
Periodically I have published postings to the Historic Pelham Blog about John Hunter and the island on which he built his fine mansion in Pelham: Hunter's Island. For examples of such postings, see:
Fri. Dec. 2, 2005: John Hunter of Hunter's Island in Pelham, New York
Wed. Dec. 14, 2005: New Information About John Hunter's Acquisition of Hunter's Island in the Manor of Pelham
Tue. Jan. 17, 2006: John Pugsley, An Early Owner of Appleby's Island Later Known as Hunter's Island
Fri. Mar. 31, 2006: Text of 1804 Will of Alexander Henderson, Owner of the Island Later Known as Hunter's Island
Apr. 27, 2006: Burial Place of John Hunter (1778 - 1852) of Hunter's Island
Tue. June 13, 2006: Sketch Showing Hunters Island Mansion in 1853
The Minutes of the Common Council of the City of New York, 1784 - 1831, contain an interesting resolution enacted in early 1826 relieving John Hunter of a personal tax imposed by New York City Tax Assessors. Today's Historic Pelham Blog posting transcribes the text of that resolution.
"The Committee on Assessments on the Petition of John Hunter for relief from a Personal Tax reported in favor as follows
The Committee on Assessments to whom was referred the Petition of John Hunter of Pelham in Westchester County praying to be relieved from the payment of a personal Tax imposed on him by the assessors of the Eighth Ward -- Report that they have examined into the facts and find that Mr Hunter was at the time of the Assessment a resident of West Chester County and not of New York and that he is regularly Assessed and pays personal taxes in that County -- The Committe [sic] are therefore of opinion that the prayer of the Petitioner ought to be granted . . . and therefore recommend the following resolution
Resolved that John Hunter of the Town of Pelham in the County of Westchester be relieved from a personal tax imposed on him by the Assessors of the Eighth Ward.
John R. Peters
P. C. Van Wyck
Samel Gilford Junr
Wm W Mott
Which was approved and the Resolution adopted."
Source: Minutes of the Common Council of the City of New York 1784 - 1831, Vol. XV, Nov. 10, 1825 - Dec. 25, 1826, pp. 158-59 (NY, NY: City of New York 1917).