Historic Pelham

Presenting the rich history of Pelham, NY in Westchester County: current historical research, descriptions of how to research Pelham history online and genealogy discussions of Pelham families.

Friday, September 04, 2015

Sale of the Pre-Revolutionary War Home Known as Pelhamdale in 1948

There is a lovely historic home located at 45 Iden Avenue in the Village of Pelham Manor.  It is known as "Pelhamdale."  Portions of the home are believed to pre-date the Revolutionary War. The home once was owned by American Patriot David Jones Pell.  The structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The home has been significantly altered since the eighteenth century.

In 1948, the home was sold to Joseph Boucher of the Bronx.  At the time, the home was owned by the estate of W. W. Taylor and had been on the market for an exceedingly long period of time.  During that time, Town residents proposed all sorts of schemes to "save" the home.  Pelham Post 50, American Legion proposed to buy Pelhamdale to serve as its local headquarters, but objections from neighbors stopped that effort.  Townspeople proposed to raise money privately to purchase the home and designate it as the Town of Pelham Public Library as a memorial to those who fought in World War II.  The effort failed, however, due to a "lack of public interest."

Though the home has been through a succession of owners during its roughly 265-year history, it remains today an elegant private residence listed on the National Register of Historic Places do to its storied history and the backgrounds of those who have lived in it including Philip Pell and his son, David Jones Pell.

I have written about David J. Pell and the lovely historic home known as "Pelhamdale" and "Pelham Dale" on numerous occasions.  For a few examples, see:

Tue., Jun. 24, 2014:  Story of Pelhamdale, the Old Stone House by the Bridge, Once Owned by David J. Pell.

Thu., Jan. 03, 2008:  Charges in 1808 Against Lieutenant-Colonel David J. Pell of Pelham that He "Indulges in Inebriety and Habitual Drunkeness." 

Thu., Oct. 26, 2006:  Genealogical Data Regarding David Jones Pell of the Manor of Pelham, Revolutionary War Officer

Mon., Oct 15, 2007:  Town Proclamation Recognizes Celebration of the 250th Anniversary of Pelhamdale at 45 Iden Avenue

Wed., Nov. 02, 2005:  Engraving by P.M. Pirnie Showing Pelhamdale in 1861

Thu., Oct. 13, 2005:  Two More Pelham Ghost Stories

Mon., Sep. 19, 2005:  The Long-Hidden Pastoral Mural Uncovered in Pelhamdale, a Pre-Revolutionary War Home

Mon., Apr. 11, 2005:  More From the William R. Montgomery Glass Negative Collection (includes photograph of fire at Pelhamdale on February 28, 1925)

Tue., Mar. 22, 2005:  The 1790 U.S. Census Information for the Township of Pelham

Pelhamdale on October 14, 2007.  Photograph by the Author.
NOTE:  Click Image To Enlarge.

Today's posting to the Historic Pelham Blog transcribes the text of an article published in 1948 describing a recent sale of Pelhamdale.  It is followed by a citation and link to its source. 

*          *          *          *          *

"Historic Old Pell House Sold, Built Before Revolutionary War

PELHAM MANOR -- Pell House, almost 200 years old and one of Westchester's historic landmarks, Carol Place and Iden Avenue, has been sold by the estate of W. W. Taylor to Joseph Boucher, 2534 Woodhull Avenue, the Bronx.

John K. Miller, Mount Vernon real estate broker, who handled the transaction, and who has been managing agent of the property for 16 years, said the new owner will occupy the house and plans extensive alterations.  The old stone house, which stands on a plot of an acre-and-a-half, has 13 rooms.

Dates From 1750

The house, the only pre-Revolutionary mansion still standing in Pelham Manor [sic], was erected around 1750 - 1760, according to Lockwood Barr, town historian.  Mr. Barr, in his book, 'Ancient Town of Pelham,' relates that the house originally was called Pelham Dale, from which Pelhamdale Avenue derives its name.  It was built by Philip Pell II, grandson of the third Lord of the Manor of Pelham.

According to Mr. Barr, the house, on a small triangular tract bounded by Carol Place, Iden Avenue, and the Hutchinson Parkway, is all that remains of the original large farm.  After the Revolution, Colonel David Pell, a son of Philip Pell II, lived in the old homestead until his death in 1823.  His widow sold the tract to James Hay, who named the place Pelham Dale.

In the North wall of the house is imbedded a large piece of red sandstone on which is cut in relief the coat-of-arms of the Hay family.

Sought as Historic Shrine

'Pelham Dale was one of the magnificent country estates of Westchester,' Mr. Barr writes.  'It has passed through many ownerships; yet today, in spite of its use and abuse, it still is a fine example of the mansions of its day.  Numerous unsuccessful attempts have been made to interest some patriotic society in purchasing thiss old Pell place and restoring it as a historic museum for the Pelhams.'

Last year Pelham Post 50, American Legion, was considering buying the property for a clubhouse but Pelham Manor residents objected.  Last January a proposal by the Pelham Realty Board that the mansion be purchased by popular subscription as a town public library for a World War II memorial, fell through from lack of public interest."

Source:  Historic Old Pell House Sold, Built Before Revolutionary War, The Daily Argus [Mount Vernon, NY], Aug. 4, 1948, p. 5, cols. 4-6.  

Order a Copy of "Thomas Pell and the Legend of the Pell Treaty Oak."  

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home