Historic Pelham

Presenting the rich history of Pelham, NY in Westchester County: current historical research, descriptions of how to research Pelham history online and genealogy discussions of Pelham families.

Friday, May 13, 2016

1851 Advertisement Offering Farm and Mansion Known as Pelhamdale for Lease

One of the two oldest homes in the Town of Pelham is the beautiful historic home known as "Pelhamdale" that stands at 45 Iden Avenue in the Village of Pelham Manor.  The home, expanded and changed on numerous occasions during the last 265 or so years, includes an original section believed to have been built in about the early 1750s by Philip Pell II at about the time of his marriage to Gloriana Tredwell.  The home is one of two pre-Revolutionary War structures that still stand in Pelham, the other believed to be a portion of the Kemble House located at 145 Shore Road in Pelham Manor.  Pelhamdale is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  

View of Pelhamdale from Iden Avenue on September 3, 2014.
Source:  "Pelhamdale" in Wikipedia -- The Free Encyclopedia
(visited May 7, 2016).  NOTE:  Click on Image to Enlarge.

Today the magnificent home known as Pelhamdale looks much as it did in the mid-nineteenth century when it was owned by James Hay.  It stands on a nearly triangular tract bounded by Iden Avenue, the Hutchinson River Parkway, and the rear boundaries of homes that face Carol Place.  The tract is all that remains of what once was a massive estate that was bounded, roughly, by the old Boston Post Road (today's Colonial Avenue), today's Wolfs Lane, the Hutchinson River, and the Boston Turnpike (today's Boston Post Road.

After the Revolutionary War, one of Philip Pell II's sons, David J. Pell, owned the home and lived there with his wife and family until his death in 1823.  David Pell's widow sold the tract to James Hay who is credited with substantially renovating and expanding the home as well as naming it "Pelhamdale."

The original farmhouse was a single-story dwelling.  After James Hay bought the home, he expanded it substantially.  Today it is a two story, five-bay, stone residence faced in coarse stone with white sandstone Doric columns on the front porch and a plain brick entablature.  It has two separate two-story sets of bay windows that flank the front entrance looking out over today's Iden Avenue.  

In 1851, James Hay decided to offer the estate for lease.  He published at least one advertisement directed to "Farmers, Dairy Men and Market Gardeners" who might be interested in the commercial farming potentials of the large estate offering the farm with its "excellent house" for lease.

The advertisement is significant for several reasons.  First, there has been an ongoing debate for many years over whether the house should properly be referenced as "Pelhamdale" or as "Pelham Dale."  The 1851 advertisement placed by the man credited with giving the home its name references the home as "Pelhamdale," supporting the former position.

Second, the advertisement provides substantive information regarding the nature of the estate in the mid-19th century.  It notes that the estate included three orchards, all containing "grafted fruit of the finest kinds" as well as stabling sufficient to house "one hundred of cattle" -- a tremendously-large capacity for the area.

An image of the advertisement appears immediately below with a citation and link to its source.  It is followed by a transcription of the text of the advertisement to facilitate search.

1851 Advertisement Offering Estate and Mansion Known
as "Pelhamdale" for Lease.  Source:  To Farmers, Dairy
Evening Star, Feb. 6, 1851, p. 2, col. 6 (NOTE:  Paid 
subscription required to access via this link.).  NOTE:
Click on Image to Enlarge.

"To Farmers, Dairy Men and Market Gardeners.

THE subscriber offers to let for a term of years, his Farm at Pelham and East Chester Westchester County, containing from 200 to 250 acres of the best and earliest land for Gardening, Pasturage or Cultivation.  On said Farms are three Orchards, all grafted fruit of the finest kind, excellent house with suitable outbuildings and stabling for one hundred of cattle, and situated only half a mile from the New Haven Railroad depot, and in the immediate vicinity of two populous villages.

For terms apply at the house, Pelhamdale, to 

JAMES HAY, East Chester, N. Y.
j22 4tc*"

*          *          *          *          *

I have written about the lovely historic home known as "Pelhamdale" (and "Pelham Dale") on numerous occasions.  For a few of many examples, see:

Fri., Sep. 04, 2015:  Sale of the Pre-Revolutionary War Home Known as Pelhamdale in 1948.

Tue., Jun. 24, 2014:  Story of Pelhamdale, the Old Stone House by the Bridge, Once Owned by David J. Pell.

Thu., Jan. 03, 2008:  Charges in 1808 Against Lieutenant-Colonel David J. Pell of Pelham that He "Indulges in Inebriety and Habitual Drunkeness." 

Thu., Oct. 26, 2006:  Genealogical Data Regarding David Jones Pell of the Manor of Pelham, Revolutionary War Officer

Mon., Oct 15, 2007:  Town Proclamation Recognizes Celebration of the 250th Anniversary of Pelhamdale at 45 Iden Avenue

Wed., Nov. 02, 2005:  Engraving by P.M. Pirnie Showing Pelhamdale in 1861

Thu., Oct. 13, 2005:  Two More Pelham Ghost Stories

Mon., Sep. 19, 2005:  The Long-Hidden Pastoral Mural Uncovered in Pelhamdale, a Pre-Revolutionary War Home

Mon., Apr. 11, 2005:  More From the William R. Montgomery Glass Negative Collection (includes photograph of fire at Pelhamdale on February 28, 1925)

Tue., Mar. 22, 2005:  The 1790 U.S. Census Information for the Township of Pelham.

Order a Copy of "Thomas Pell and the Legend of the Pell Treaty Oak."  

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home