Pelham Historic Marker Placed on Hutchinson River Parkway in 1927
Home Page of the Historic Pelham Blog.
Order a Copy of "Thomas Pell and the Legend of the Pell Treaty Oak."
During the ceremony for placement of the marker, Town Historian William R. Montgomery delivered remarks on the history of the home and the life of David J. Pell, a patriot who served during the Revolutionary War. Ogden Philip Pell, a grandson of David J. Pell, and Isabelle Pell Lawrence, a great-granddaughter of David J. Pell, attended the ceremony.
I previously have transcribed and published the remarks on the history of Pelhamdale delivered by Town Historian William R. Montgomery that day. See Tue., Jun. 24, 2014: Story of Pelhamdale, the Old Stone House by the Bridge, Once Owned by David J. Pell.
Today's posting to the Historic Pelham Blog recounts the program for the event during which the historic marker was unveiled. The marker was placed on the roadside property of the Westchester County Parks Commission along the newly-constructed Hutchinson River Parkway where Iden Avenue then entered the parkway.
On October 18, 1927, members of the Bronx Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution gathered with Pell family members, and Pelham officials at the beautiful home of Mr. and Mrs. Howard E. Wagner known as "Pelhamdale" to unveil and dedicate a New York State historic marker regarding Pelhamdale on land adjacent to the Hutchinson River Parkway. It was the first historic marker erected on the Hutchinson River Parkway. The date selected for the event was not a coincidence. It was 151 years to the day that the home was witness to the nearby Battle of Pelham. For more than 100 years thereafter, musket balls and other detritus of the battle had been found lodged in the walls of the home and on its grounds.
The weather did not cooperate that day. Thus, the ceremonies were moved inside to the parlor of the historic mansion.
Among those in attendance that day was Ogden Phillips Pell, of New York, 94 years old. He was a grandson of Revolutionary War Patriot David Jones Pell who once owned the home. Ogden Phillips Pell was born at Pelhamdale. He came to Pelham that day especially for the ceremonies. He had not seen the home in 75 years.
The State historic marker dedicated that day read as follows: "Pelham Dale Built before 1776. Oldest house in Pelham. Home of Col. David J. Pell; American Patriot, New York Historical Marker."
The program for the event was as follows:
Mrs. T. L. Peck, regent of the Bronx Chapter, welcomed the guests and introduced the speakers.
The Rev. Charles R. Seymour, pastor of the Vernon Heights Congregational Church, pronounced the invocation.
Mrs. Felice Chandler and Mr. Bruce De Lette, of Pelham Manor presented a musical program.
Mrs. Peck called the D.A.R. meeting to order.
Town Historian William R. Montgomery, of Pelham Manor, presented a talk on the history of the mansion and the Pell family.
After the ceremony, tea was served in Pelhamdale, as it had been on countless occasions during the previous 150 years. After the Iden Avenue entrance to the Hutchinson River Parkway was closed off, the State historic marker was moved to the grounds of Pelhamdale where it remains.
* * * * *
Below is the text of the article on which today's posting to the Historic Pelham Blog is based. It is followed by a citation and link to its source.
"D.A.R. PAYS TRIBUTE TO HISTORIC 'PELHAM DALE,' OLD PELL RESIDENCE
State Marker Erected On Hutchinson River Parkway at Site of Oldest Residence In Town of Pelham. Building Was Erected Prior To Revolutionary War
Turning the page of Pelham's history back over more than a century and one half, the Bronx Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated a marker at 'Pelham Dale,' the old Pell residence at Iden avenue and the Hutchinson River Parkway, Tuesday afternoon. Mr. and Mrs. Howard E. Wagner, owners of the property were hosts to many members of the Pell family, members of the D.A.R. and celebrities who took part in paying tribute to Pelham Dale the oldest house in the town of Pelham. Due to the inclement weather the ceremonies were held in the parlor of the historic old mansion instead of at the site of the marker on the property of the Westchester County Park Commission.
The marker is one of a series to be erected by the State at points of historic interest. It is the first to be erected on the Hutchinson River Parkway. It reads 'Pelham Dale built before 1776. Oldest house in Pelham. Home of Col. David J. Pell; American Patriot, New York Historical Marker.' Mrs. Elsie Pell Guion, of New Rochelle, descendant of Col. Pell, appeared in the costume of a Colonial Dame and read the inscription on the marker.
Mrs. T. L. Peck, regent of the Bronx Chapter, welcomed the guests and introduced the speakers of the afternoon. The Rev. Charles R. Seymour, pastor of the Vernon Heights Congregational Church, pronounced the invocation. Mrs. Felice Chandler and Mr. Bruce De Lette, of Pelham Manor presented a musical program.
Mrs. Peck called the meeting to order with a dinner bell which was found in the Pell mansion and is believed to have been used in the early days of the house.
William R. Montgomery, of Pelham Manor, presented an interesting talk on the history of the mansion and the Pell family. His address will be found printed elsewhere in this issue of The Pelham Sun. Few Pelhamites are acquainted with the remarkable history of Pelham Dale. Mr. Montgomery is an authority on local tradition.
Among the guests were Ogden Phillips Pell, of New York, 94 years old, grandson of Col. David Jones Pell. Ogden Phillips Pell was born at Pelhamdale. He came to Pelham especially for the ceremonies after an absence of 75 years.
Other members of the Pell family who were present were as follows: Mr. and Mrs. Stephen H. Pell, of Fort Ticonderoga; Mr. and Mrs. Howland Pell, William S. Pell, Miss Muriel Pell, Miss Martha Pell, Howard Kissan Pell, Mrs. Abijah S. Pell, Mrs. Elsie Pell Guion, Philip Pell, Miss Adeline M. Trumbull.
After the ceremonies tea was served. Mrs. Arthur M. Smith was hostess. She was assisted by Mrs. John F. Armquist, Mrs. Arthur G. Bailler, Mrs. W. H. Doyle, Mrs. C. J. Hunt, Mrs. G. E. Hancock, Mrs. G. A. Kuhner, Miss Florence D. Leonard, Mrs. W. E. Mangerin, Mrs. Nelson W. McCombs, Mrs. S. C. McKoewn, Miss Jessie E. Parkhurst, Mrs. C. A. Speakman and Mrs. Charles A. Tier."
Source: D.A.R. PAYS TRIBUTE TO HISTORIC 'PELHAM DALE,' OLD PELL RESIDENCE -- State Marker Erected On Hutchinson River Parkway at Site of Oldest Residence In Town of Pelham. Building Was Erected Prior To Revolutionary War, The Pelham Sun, Oct. 21, 1927, p. 16, cols. 3-4.
* * * * *
I have written about the lovely historic home known as "Pelhamdale" (and "Pelham Dale") on numerous occasions. For a few of many examples, see:
Wed., Nov. 30, 2016: Article on the History of Pelhamdale Published in 1925 After Tragic Fire.
Thu., Nov. 03, 2016: 1860 Auction Offering Pelhamdale Lots from the Estate of James Hay.
Thu., Oct. 20, 2016: Fears in 1934 and 1935 that the Historic Home Known as Pelhamdale Would Be Razed.
Fri, May 13, 2016: 1851 Advertisement Offering Farm and Mansion Known as Pelhamdale for Lease.
Wed., Sep. 23, 2015: Yet Another Tale of Buried Treasure in the Town of Pelham.
Thu., Sep. 17, 2015: An Account of the February 28, 1925 Fire at Pelhamdale, A Home on the National Register of Historic Places.
Fri., Sep. 04, 2015: Sale of the Pre-Revolutionary War Home Known as Pelhamdale in 1948.
Tue., Sep. 09, 2014: The October 18, 1927 Unveiling of the Historic Marker at Pelhamdale, the Historic Home at 45 Iden Avenue.
Tue., Jun. 24, 2014: Story of Pelhamdale, the Old Stone House by the Bridge, Once Owned by David J. Pell.
Thu., Jan. 03, 2008: Charges in 1808 Against Lieutenant-Colonel David J. Pell of Pelham that He "Indulges in Inebriety and Habitual Drunkeness."
Mon., Oct 15, 2007: Town Proclamation Recognizes Celebration of the 250th Anniversary of Pelhamdale at 45 Iden Avenue.
Thu., Oct. 26, 2006: Genealogical Data Regarding David Jones Pell of the Manor of Pelham, Revolutionary War Officer.
Wed., Nov. 02, 2005: Engraving by P.M. Pirnie Showing Pelhamdale in 1861.
Thu., Oct. 13, 2005: Two More Pelham Ghost Stories.
Mon., Sep. 19, 2005: The Long-Hidden Pastoral Mural Uncovered in Pelhamdale, a Pre-Revolutionary War Home.
Mon., Apr. 11, 2005: More From the William R. Montgomery Glass Negative Collection (includes photograph of fire at Pelhamdale on February 28, 1925).
Tue., Mar. 22, 2005: The 1790 U.S. Census Information for the Township of Pelham.
Archive of the Historic Pelham Web Site.
Home Page of the Historic Pelham Blog
Order a Copy of "Thomas Pell and the Legend of the Pell Treaty Oak."